Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week 7 Storytelling: A Mert Love Affair

Once upon a time, in the land of Mert, there was a man named Carl. Actually he wasn't a man, Carl was a strange creature with fins on his sides and a tail. Did I mention that he was also green? Anyway, he had a best friend named Russell. Russell was a foot taller than Carl with tan fur and polka dots all over him.

Russell had a beautiful wife named Ellie. Ellie had flawless skin with purple eyes and golden hair complementing her blue skin tone. One day, Russell and Ellie got into a huge fight. Carl went over to comfort Russell, but instead found Ellie. She was so distraught. Being a gentleman, and a good friend, Carl went to comfort Ellie since Russell was no where to be found. One thing led to another and before they knew it they made love to one another.

The next day Carl felt absolutely awful. How could he do this to his best friend? He mustered up the courage to tell Russell that very afternoon, but as he was leaving, Ellie teleported into his room. Jumping with surprise he asked Ellie what was wrong. She replied, "I know last night was a bad idea. I just cannot handle all of the fighting between me and Russell." Ellie then began to sob. Carl looked at Ellie and could not help but feel a little tug on his heart. Whether he liked it or not, he was starting to have feelings for his best friend's wife. Instead of going to tell Russell what was going on, he shut the door and went to console Ellie.

Three months later, Carl and Ellie are still at it. Loving each other in secret. Finding a spare moment in their hectic lives so they could to be together, even for a second. Carl was definitely in love with Ellie, but she was still married to his best friend. Finally, it came to a point where Carl couldn't take it anymore. He and Ellie agreed that they needed to tell Russell. So they went to Russell and told him about their affair. At first Russell thought it was a joke, but after a while he realized that they were telling them the truth. Enraged and betrayed by the two people he loved most, Russell stormed out to seek out the Mert wizard, Jonah.

Wizard and Owl by Andy via Flickr
In Mert the one with the power is ruler. Jonah was the most power wizard in the land so he ruled. Russell stormed into his palace and explained how his best friend and his wife betrayed him. So Jonah sent for Carl and Ellie. Once they got there Jonah determined a proper sentence for their actions. "For your inability to be faithful to your best friend, Carl, you are banished from Mert. If you or any of your descendants are found in Mert, the punishment is death. For your inability to be faithful to your husband, Ellie, I am sentencing you and your husband to therapy. You must stay with your husband because that is what you vowed when you married him. That is my final ruling." Immediately Carl and Ellie started yelling at the harshness of wizard's decision, but the guards were already coming to take Carl away. They give each other one final kiss and that was the end of it. Carl and Ellie never saw each other again. Carl lived in the outskirts of Mert living off of the land for the rest of his days. Ellie went to therapy with Russell twice a week for the rest of her life. I am happy to say that Russell and Ellie did fix most of their problems with therapy, but it was never quite the same after the affair.

Author's note: This story is based off of Why the Fish Lives in the Water from the Nigeria unit. It is very closely related to the original plot line. However, I just used aliens instead of a leopard and a fish. One of the big things I changed was at the end. In the original story, the king (my wizard) only punished the fish (my Carl). I thought that the woman should be punished as well because she also took a part in the act. I still didn't punish her as much and gave her a happier ending than Carl so that you still get the sense of how unfair it all is.

Bibliography: Why the Fish Lives in the Water from Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910).

6 comments:

  1. Chelsey,

    I also read this unit this week, and I when your plot mentioned an affair I was curious to see if it was about the fish and the leopard. I really enjoyed the original, but I can say I loved your version so much more! I liked your creative twist, but how you also kept true to the underlying theme. I haven’t written a story, yet, where I have used this much of a creative twist. I definitely have to try and implement this into my next retelling! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did a great job of retelling this story and really were successful at getting the point across. I think it is great that you were able to sick pretty close to the original story but just added in a few new details. I think that you did a really good job of keeping to the original theme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the fantasy details in your story because that is absolutely my favorite genre. The affair really adds some drama to it as well. I feel as if Carl got what he deserved for doing that to his best friend and therapy was a good idea for the husband and wife. Overall, Jonah seems like a really wise wizard! I think the original story sounded interesting too but your descriptions were wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you made them aliens! I didn't read this unit so I don't know anything about it, but I definitely think that aliens make everything better! I was cracking up at the end when the woman got sent to therapy as her punishment! I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but I definitely found it to be so! I loved your story very much and I can't wait to read more of them in the future! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the creativity you used in this story. The eccentricity of the characters looks reminded me of the Hunger Games books. In those books they have the most ridiculous outfits that they call in style. I like how you included a punishment for Ellie, both people committed a wrong so both should be punished. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You story is very creative Chelsey, Thats cool how you used aliens instead of a leopard and a fish. I didn't read the original story, but I bet I would like yours better! It was interesting how you made Ellie receive a punishment too, but I guess everyone has to pay what what they do. Great story! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete