Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Reading Diary: Week 14- Russian Fairytales

Russian Fairytales Unit

Witch Girl

I think it is interesting that Death is perceived as a female. In most stories I have read from other cultures, Death is male. I have to say, I was a little confused at first as to why the Cossack kept the arm. However, as the events played out, I realized how smart of a move that was. He had his way of identifying "Death" (the witch) and a way to prove he was right by showing the arm to the people. 

The Fox Physician

That poor old man! At first this story reminded me of Jack and the Beanstalk. That cabbage sounds HUGE! I was expecting a giant or something to come into the story. However, we get the devious fox. I think it is really interesting that in most cultures the fox is a trickster. We even teach that to our children today. I mean we have Swiper the fox in the television show "Dora the Explorer." Swiper is always trying to trick Dora and Boots by swiping their things. It's really interesting that it has still carried on into new stories that we tell our children today. 

Two Corpses  

This was a very action packed little story. I could see it play out perfectly in my head. I felt so bad for the soldier though. I am sure he has seen many things in his service, he probably felt like he was back on the battlefield in this little scare. I wonder why the cocks always make the corpses go away? That is not something I am very familiar with, but it seems to happen a lot in these Russian stories. I also didn't think that living corpses could be in churches? I am obviously wrong on that though, it sounds like both of the corpses were in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment