Thursday, November 13, 2014

Storytelling Week 13: Little Devils

Peter and James were two rotten little boys.

When they were about ten years old, they liked to cause as much ruckus as possible. They liked to pick on girls, play pranks, and have sword fights. Basically, they were your typical preteen boy.

One day they were especially awful. They put a tack on their teacher's seat, pointy end up. As you can imagine, it wasn't the best moment for the kids or for the teacher. As punishment, the school gave them detention. However, at home, their fates had yet to be determined.

When they got home, they were sent straight to their room with no dinner. Before long they could hear their parent's voices as they decided what to do with them.

"What are we going to do with the little devils?" their mom said. "They are going to be spoiled if we do not do something about them soon."

"I know sweetheart." their father said. "I just do not see how it can be avoided at this point."

"What if we just ate them?" their mom said.

"I don't know if we really need the extra calories. Besides wouldn't they be kind of chewy?" their father said.

"Are you saying I am fat??" their mom said.

"Not at all sweetie. Please do not put words in my mouth." their father said. "It would just break the strict diet we are on."

"Okay." said the mom. "Let's eat them tomorrow when we can adjust the calories for the rest of the day."

"That sounds perfect! I cannot wait to eat them!" replied their father.

James and Peter looked at each other in horror.

"You don't really think they are going to eat us do you??" asked James.

"I don't know if I want to be around to find out." replied Peter. "I mean we have been "little devils" lately. I guess we must have pushed it too far when we pranked Mrs. Travister."

"I think I will just beg them in the morning for another chance." said James. "I mean we are their kids. They are supposed to love and care for us, not eat us!"

"Okay." Peter said. "While you try to make peace with our cannibalistic parents, I will go hide in the shed. If you are going to die, scream really loudly and I will try to come get you so we can run away together. Agreed?"

"Agreed." James replied.

The next morning, James and Peter's parents came into their room to wake them up for school. They found James crying and Peter no where to be seen.

"What in the world is going on?!" asked their father. "Where is Peter? Why are you crying?"

"Mother and Father," James said, "please forgive us and please do not eat us!"

"Honey! What are you talking about??" asked their mother in alarm.

"We heard you talking last night." replied James. "You said you were going to eat the "little devils" today. I know me and Peter have been really bad lately, but give us another chance! We will be good little boys! We are your kids please do not eat us!"

"O honey," replied their mother, "we were not talking about you! We were trying to decide what to do with all the deviled eggs your grandma made for us. We didn't want them to go to waste so we are eating all of them today! I am so sorry you thought we would eat you! You haven't been the nicest boys lately, but we know you will get better. You are both ten year old boys! You will hopefully get out of this stage."

Deviled Eggs by Marshall Astor via Wiki Commons


"If not," replied the father, "maybe we will eat you." The mother cast a stern look at the father so he replied, "Just kidding of course. We love you boys. Now go get Peter, it is time for you guys to go to school."

Author's Note: I based my story off of the Monks and the Butcher from the Heptameron unit. In this story, the butcher and his wife refer to their pigs as Cordeliers (which is what the monks are) and the monks overhear of how they are planning on killing the bigger one in the morning. In panic the monks try to flee and the bigger one doesn't end up being able to run away, so he hides in the pig sty. In the morning, the butcher finds the monk in the pig sty terrified of being eaten and they all realized the big misunderstanding. I tried to keep my storyline very close to the original. I just reinvented it to fit a modern day scenario.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't read this story but I love your retelling! I was cracking up! Especially when the dad is like, "But if you keep being bad then maybe we will eat you." I could so see someone's dad doing that! Maybe that will teach those boys to not be such little devils any more! Very excellent job and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chelsey,
    You did a very good job of retelling and transforming your story. I always like stories with misunderstandings and this is the first one I have seen so far in this class. I also liked your choice of retelling, I think this story fits the missed meaning better than the monks because little kids always do stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! This is a great story, very funny. I love the modern retelling you did of it - makes it more believable and less farcical. It’s just easier to see little boys jumping to conclusions like that than it is to read about monks doing so. Granted, lots of people held very low opinions of the intelligence of monks (just read Chaucer) so it may just be a time thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chelsey! I thought you had a very funny storytelling! I was cracking up when I read the end! Genius!! I love how you took the original and changed to a modern day setting. I like how you changed the pigs to deviled eggs and the monks to young boys. That was really creative and very innovative. I think this is my first time on your page so I am glad that I read this before the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete