Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Storytelling Week 12: Queen's Croquet Invitational

"Hello folks! This is Bill the Lizard."

"And I am the White Rabbit! Thanks for joining us today on Wonderland Sports! Today is quite a day in the history of Wonderland. It is the Queen's 10th Croquet Invitational. Can you believe it has been ten years already Bill?"

"No I can't Rabbit! It really must've flown by for you! You are always having to run around because you are always late!"

"Ha ha! Ain't that the truth Bill? You try having twenty kids at home and see if you are ever on time."

"I would need a Mrs. first! Anyway, we have quite a group of people playing in today's tournament. Who all is in the line up Rabbit?"

"We have got the King and Queen of course, most of the royal court has made it as well. Jack unfortunately will not be able to make it, he is off on some vacation with a dancing flower. I guess it is our loss but his gain! There is also a new contestant on the scene, her name is Alice. She was only invited to this an hour ago. It will be interesting to see what she can do. I bet she has never played a game of croquet quite like this!"

"I am sure your are right Rabbit! I mean honestly who else plays the game like this? As far as I know this is the only tournament that plays in the unique conditions. It just makes it more special. For those of you that have seen one of the Queen's tournaments, you know exactly what I mean. For those who are watching this for the first time, you are in for quite a treat! Instead of a mallet they use a flamingo. Yes you did hear correctly, flamingos. It is an extra challenge for the contestants. They have to find a way to straighten out the flamingo and have enough control over it to hit their hedgehog. Yet again, you are not crazy. They use a hedgehog as their ball. As you can imagine that makes the task even harder. I have seen competitors hit their hedge hogs perfectly, gain about five yards, then their hedgehog decides it wants to run in the opposite direction for ten yards."

Flamingo via Deviantart 


"The real question, Bill, is who is going to win this year? The Queen invented the game, so we can expect her to be a front runner in the competition. I wonder if she will score more points than the amount of people she will behead in the tournament."

"I am sure that will be a close call Rabbit! Queen, if you are watching this, we do not mean any of this to be disrespectful in anyway. Please let me keep my head, my neck has grown quite attached to it!"

"Ha ha good one Bill! In all seriousness, we do wish the Queen the best of luck in her tournament today."


Author's Note: I chose to write my story based off of the Queen's Croquet-Ground from the Alice in Wonderland unit. I thought it would be nice to write about the game itself from a sports commentator point of view.

Bibliography: Queen's Croquet-Ground from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsey! I did not read the Alice in Wonderland unit, so I did not read this original story that you are retelling, but I like the way you decide to tell it. I think telling this story from a sports commentator point of view is so creative and makes the story more enjoyable to read! Very good job on this storytelling this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea, I think you did a great job recreating this story! I read the Alice in Wonderland unit last week and found it difficult to make a new story out of it because the concepts are so abstract. You did a great job in switching the story to be told from sports commentators. It allowed for the whimsical element of the croquet game to still be present, just told in a new way. I did a similar approach by keeping the details and story the same from the Looking Glass story and merely set it in a new setting. Great job tackling a rather harder unit to retell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Alice in Wonderland too and I think you did a great job retelling this story! I felt like I was reading the script from some game show like WipeOut or something like that. It was really entertaining! Especially when they were explaining how one would use flamingos and hedgehogs instead of normal croquet equipment! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey again Chelsey,
    I liked the direction you went with your storytelling for Alice in Wonderland, t was very clever to write from that angle. You also made your announcers seem like actual sports commentators, because when I watch sports on tv the announcers always seem to gossip and make jokes and quips. For some reason I couldn't help but read it in John Madden's voice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete