Friday, September 12, 2014

Essay for Week 4: A Rich Voyage

Sinbad by Rene Bull (1898) via Wiki Commons
This week I was only able to read half of the Sinbad Unit. I really liked what I was able to read though! I did something different this week and actually listened to the story from Librivox and read along in another tab. I thought it was a really nice change and it really helped me stay focused on the reading. However, there is a difference in the story from the untextbook and what they were reading. The Librivox recording had extra about a guy named Hinbad that was hearing these stories from Sinbad itself. I personally liked that little extra part of the story and think it would be cool to add that to the untextbook. My favorite story was the Fifth Voyage. I thought it was pretty funny when Sinbad was attacked by the old man that turned out to be the "old man in the sea." However, I felt kind of bad for the mommy and daddy roc and definitely understood why they destroyed the ship. I probably would have done the same in their situation. I also did not know what a roc was, that might be a helpful thing to put in the notes. Apparently it is an enormous bird of prey that is in different cultures myths. If I had to choose a least favorite story this unit it would be the Seventh and Last Voyage. I really did not like that he killed an elephant and just buried it afterward. Elephants are huge and if you are going to kill them I feel like you should be using every single part of them, otherwise it is a waste. This unit met my expectations by being about Sinbad and his crazy adventures he went through, but I did not realize that Sinbad became extremely wealthy from all of these life threatening voyages. That might explain why he kept going on voyages even though he had terrible luck with shipwrecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment