Monday, September 15, 2014

Reading Diary Week 5 - Twenty-Two Goblins

Twenty-two Goblins

Introduction

I wonder why there are gems inside of the fruit the monk gives the king? I liked that the monk's name is Patience. I definitely feel like there is some significant meaning with that name. I was really confused when the goblin was in the dead body. Originally I did not realize that there was a dead body. I just assumed that what the king thought was a dead body was actually a goblin. Nope. I was definitely wrong. The goblin was just inside of the dead body. 

Three Lovers

I definitely would have not guessed the correct answer for this riddle. First of all, I think what all the brothers did after Coral's death was weird. Making a hut on her ashes and begging for food is obsessive and scary. Dipping her bones in a river is also a bit strange. Honestly becoming a monk was not too bad, but seemed a little extreme. When the monk brought her to life, I was a little confused. I thought monks were like nuns and could not marry. So I didn't think that marrying Coral would be an option for him when she came back to life. I was kind of shocked to hear that the answer to the riddle was the brother that built a hut on her ashes. Like I said before, I think that is scary obsessive. However, I couldn't have come up with a better answer.

Brave, Wise, Clever

I think it is interesting that yet again there are three lovers fighting over the love of one girl. I thought the kings response to the riddle was very interesting and I agreed with it. In this story, the Brave man deserves the girl because the other two only assisted in helping the Brave man save her. 

Three Delicate Wives

This goblin really likes to do things in threes. Is delicacy a trait of beauty in this culture? If so then these women must be gorgeous. I am actually pretty proud of myself because I answered this riddle before I read it! The most delicate wife is the one that got bruises from a sound because she was not touched by anything and still got hurt. Both of the other wives were still delicate but they were at least touched by something to give them their injury.

Snake's Poison

I am kind of sad that we never find out what happened to his wife. I think it is interesting that the answer to the riddle is that the man himself is to blame for his death. However, I guess that makes sense. You can't blame the snake because it was dying and had no control. Cannot blame the hawk because it was just doing what it is supposed to do. You most certainly cannot blame the sweet lady that gave the man the food to begin with. There was no malice toward the man in any of their hearts.

The General's Wife

This story briefly reminded me of the story of David and Bathsheba from the Bible. David was also attracted to the wife of his general. However, he did take advantage of Bathsheba. The king in this story would rather die than not be virtuous. I also agree that the king deserved Passion more than the general. The general was just willing to hand over his wife to the king. Obviously he did not care for his wife very much. 

Conclusion

First of all I completely respect the king for going back to get the goblin every time he ran off. That is real dedication. I am also kind of surprised that the monk was evil the whole time. I am glad that the goblin respected the king after all of those riddles and told him the monks plans. I also thought it was weird that what the king wanted was for the whole world to know the riddles the goblin shared with him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment