Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Storytelling for Week 3: Best Work Day of the Century

Dear Diary,

Today was one of the best days I have had at work in a really long time!

This morning I was running so late I had to skip breakfast. I flew to work as fast as I could and made it right on time! I get to my office and the big boss was waiting for me. I mumbled a quick excuse as to why I wasn't there sooner and he brushed it off like he had bigger issues than my rushed arrival. God said, "I have an important job for you on earth Gabe." I almost literally started jumping up and down. It had been so long since I had gotten a field job! I kept my cool though, I didn't want God to think I wasn't capable for the job. Straightening up I ask, "What would you like from me sir?" God looked at me and with a sad smile said, "Sarah and Abraham have been taken to the pharaoh. He would like to make Sarah his queen. We cannot let this happen. We must not forsake them. Do whatever it takes to make the pharaoh release Sarah and Abraham." He turns toward the door and pauses, "Good luck Gabe. I believe in you!" then he exits without another word. I am not going to lie. After God left I did a little victory dance in the office.

I packed up everything I would need for the journey as fast as I could. As an after thought, I decided to bring with me my staff. I do not know why, but it felt right. I then stretch my wings. Safety first right? How awful would it be to pull a muscle when flying down to earth? I go to the launch pad and make it to earth in record time.

Once I get there I see Sarah. She is so brave as she stands up to the pharaoh and attempts to keep him away from her. I make myself so that only Sarah can see me so that I might bring her a bit of comfort. She looks at me in shock so the pharaoh turned around and saw nothing. He attempts to touch her and I did the first thing that came to my mind. I grabbed my staff and hit him with it. The pharaoh's face was priceless. He came back to his senses and tried to touch Sarah again. So I hit him again. For a third time the pharaoh attempted to touch Sarah and this time I just put my staff on his arm. He could not move it! The look of terror on his face as he asked Sarah to go was fantastic. However, the pharaoh still had Sarah and Abraham in his home. I recalled that my orders were to make sure that both Sarah and Abraham were released and that has yet to happen. I decided I would just keep bothering the pharaoh. I made him trip on things, run into walls, I even hit him a few more times until finally the pharaoh decided that he was sick because of Sarah and Abraham and had them leave. After making sure Sarah and Abraham made it out okay and were safe on their journey, I flew back home just in time for dinner.

I would love to have more jobs like that one. Definitely the highlight of the century so far!

-Gabe

Angel by Michelangelo from Wikimedia Commons 


Author's Note: My story is based off of the Jewish Fairy Tale The Higgledy-Piggledy Palace. In this story Abraham puts his wife, Sarah, into a box because she is so beautiful. He was afraid of the attention she brought to them. She was found by some egyptians who brought her to the pharaoh for her beauty. The pharaoh was so taken by her that he offered to make her his queen. Meanwhile, Abraham posed as Sarah's brother in fear of the pharaoh killing him. The pharaoh makes advances toward Sarah and then is beaten by this invisible figure until he releases Sarah and Abraham. I decided to write my story from the invisible figure's point of view because I felt like if I had that job I would be having so much fun teaching that jerk a lesson or two.

Bibliography: "The Higgledy-Piggledy Palace" from Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa (1919). Web Source: Untextbook

3 comments:

  1. Chelsey, I really enjoyed this storytelling post. I decided to first read the original fairy tale to gain some background on your version, and, admittedly, in part because of the interesting title. I loved the storytelling technique that you used--seeing it from the spirit's point of view (and a gleeful, just one at that) added a dash of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsey, I was pleased to realize that you had created a backstory to explain the presence of the invisible figure. Before I took a look at the original story, I assumed Gabe was part of the original story. I love the innocent and eager portrayal of Gabe, and I think the diary format was a good fit for what you wanted to do. In all, everything about this story seems believable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed probably way to hard at the part where Gabe is hitting the pharaoh with his staff. I could just imagine the look on both of their faces! It would be priceless! I am really impressed by the way you told this story because I thought that Gabe was a part of the original story! It sort of reminded me of the movie, 'Its a Wonderful Life', where the angel comes down to show George Bailey just how many people he helped in his lifetime. Now, I know the only similarity is the angel/ Gabriel, but still... Great job! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete