Monday, September 22, 2014

Essay for Week 6: Polly Want a Cracker?

Ara Macao via Wikimedia Commons

The Laos Unit was a pretty good read this week. I love all the separate stories. They were really all so different from one another. One was explaining why there were huge rocks in a plain, another explained why there was a man in the moon, and yet another explained why parrots only repeat what people say and do not say what is on their minds. I think that the diversity of stories of this unit is why I liked it so much. Every story was just so different. My favorite story was most definitely The Fortunes of a Lazy Beggar. Starting off this story I was not sure if it would be one I would like. Then I was able to relate to the beggar with his laziness. His is of course more extreme than my own, however, I definitely have those days where I would be perfectly content to stay in bed and do nothing all day. I could not believe that the chow's daughter ended up marrying him, but I was really impressed when he started working. I could not believe how vain the daughter was. She did not like the man until he looked great. Then she was fine with everything. Looks are not everything. With time they fade. When that is gone, what kind of a marriage will you have? My least favorite story of this unit was by far The Fortunes of Ai Powlo. That kid was creepy. I can not believe that anyone could be that evil to your own parents. To make your parents believe that their other half is dead is just wrong. Ai did many terrible things to a lot of people. I also thought it was creepy weird that when he died his skull would laugh and mock. As you can tell, I am not an Ai Powlo fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment