Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1: A Very Merry Untextbook

As of now... This is what I'm thinking my Un-textbook will look like this semester.

Week 2: I am really excited to read about some Roman mythology. I have always been really interested in Greek and Roman Mythology and love to get my hands on anything about it. So for week 2, I will choose Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche for my weekly reading. I love the story of "Beauty and the Beast" so I am really excited to compare this to the traditional story that I know so well.

Week 3: I will probably choose Bible Women for my reading during week 3. Some of my favorite Bible stories are about strong women like Esther and Mary. However, I sometimes feel like those stories are overlooked. I would love to look deeper into these stories about the women of the Bible.

Week 4: This week I will most likely be reading The Voyages of Sinbad from the book The Arabian Nights. I love a good Odyssey inspired journey. Books that are about a journey and the different obstacles the main character overcomes really grabs my attention. Since I decided not to read The Odyssey in the first 2 weeks, I will have to read the adventures of Sinbad this week.

Week 5: I love riddles and trying to solve them. So deciding to read Twenty-Two Goblins was a really easy decision. I would love to see if I can figure out the answer to the puzzle before the king answers it in the story.

Week 6: Next I might choose to read Folklore of Laos. I haven't picked anything about animals yet and in the overview this one grabbed my attention. The story about why a parrot repeats itself and doesn't say what it thinks sounds intriguing.

Week 7: Joel Chandler Harris's Brer Rabbit sounds like a great choice for week 7. I like that the dialect is really important to this story and would like to listen to it. I think this will be a phenomenal change to what I would have been reading earlier in the semester.

Week 9: I will be honest with you, I saw Cinderella and immediately had to choose Native American Marriage Tales. Cinderella is one of my favorite stories so I cannot wait to compare the "Turkey Girl" to the different versions of Cinderella I have been told.

Week 10: To kind of go along with the fairytale theme from the week before I will read American Indian Fairytales this week. The different stories you tell your children reflect the different values in your culture. For that reason I am interested to see what these stories are all about.

Week 11: These next two weeks are going to be so difficult for me to decide on one! I will have to chose King Arthur for one of them though. I absolutely love the story of King Arthur. I loved the BBC show "Merlin" and I took a class about Arthurian Legend and Literature. So I will most definitely be reading some more stories about King Arthur.

Week 12: As of now, I think I will read Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. I love to read different classic novels and I have not been able to get to this story. I think it would be a perfect opportunity to read the actual story of Alice and Wonderland and stop comparing the story to the Disney movie.

Week 13: This is so hard to choose from! I would love to read all of the original fairytales. Maybe one day I will be able to. This week I think I will choose Grimm (LibriVox). I have already read a Cinderella like story so I would love to read the original Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty. I also chose this one because I think this would be a great story to listen to.

Week 14: Finally, I will choose Hans Christian Anderson. I would love to hear/read the original dark story of the little mermaid. I have also been told that Anderson wrote the original story of the Snow Queen and am really hoping to read that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment