Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 2: Reading Diary- Cupid and Psyche


Psyche's Beauty

I cannot believe Psyche is letting people treat her like a goddess. I mean, I am sure it is really nice. However, nothing good can come of it. I also thought it was really interesting how Cupid is introduced as "doing not an ounce of good." This doesn't sound anything like the cute cupid we see everywhere on valentines day. In this story he is going into battle to ruin life with love, not to create love into something that makes life beautiful.

The Mysterious Husband

It's weird to me that you can fall in love with someone without seeing what they look like or even knowing their name. It's not that I don't think you can love without seeing your significant other. I just think that if I was with a guy and he wouldn't tell me his name or let me see his face, I would be slightly creeped out.

The Jealousy of Psyche's Sisters

I am fairly certain that it would have been much better for Psyche if she had just let her sisters mourn her death. Her sharing her treasures and creating what her husband looks like just created a monster within her sisters.

Psyche's Husband Revealed

The stupid lamp! It ruined everything! I love how the lamp is blamed in the story even though we know that Cupid told her all along not to look at him and to not listen to her sisters. In the end it was Psyche's fault for deciding she needed to look upon her husbands face.

Venus and Psyche

I don't like how Venus doesn't offer Psyche any slack at all. She is pregnant and Venus still has her beaten and tortured! I do love that the ants took pity on her and the "six-footed folk" helped Psyche complete her first task given to her by Psyche.

The Third Task

I think it is interesting that to test Psyche's bravery, Venus sent her to the place the gods themselves fear. Venus was obviously setting Psyche up for an ultimate fail and most likely Psyche's death. I love the Eagles bravery to help poor Psyche. He is willing to go to somewhere awful to honor his relationship with Cupid and to protect Cupid's wife.

Jar of Beauty

It is so weird that when Psyche is about to give up on life, something tells her what to do. A thing. I think that I would be very concerned if I heard a tower talking to me. I think it is interesting that part of the challenge sent by Venus is to have Psyche not help others. She is not allowed to help the lame driver or help some women weave. I CANNOT believe that Psyche would be so stupid as to try to use some divine beauty for herself. After all she has been through, you would think she would learn to do as she is told.

The Sleep of the Dead

I am completely shocked that the sleep that was in the vial did not last long. I was expecting Psyche to be out for some time and perhaps make this Beauty and the Beast story combine with Sleeping Beauty. I love that when Cupid asks Jupiter for help Jupiter tells Cupid all the reasons he should not help him. Only to then agree to help him if Cupid can get a beautiful woman for Jupiter.

The Wedding Feast

I cannot believe that this story had a happy ending! I was expecting the baby to be the weird serpent from the prophecy. I am also wondering what happened with the prophecy. I mean I thought that was a big thing with the Greek/Roman stories. The prophecy might not always end up in a way you would expect, but I thought they were still supposed to be dead on. I will also be honest, I forgot about the beginning with the old woman and the girl that was kidnapped. I was kind of confused when it went back into that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment